Theme 1: Nature of Science
Keywords: observation, qualitative data, quantitative data, inference, hypothesis, controlled experiment, independent variable, dependent variable, constant, evidence, theory, experimental design
- How is science used to answer questions about the natural world?
- How is the term “theory” used in science?
- What makes a hypothesis scientific?
- What types of data can describe observations?
- How are controlled experiments designed and what are they used for?
- What types of questions can science be used to answer? What types of questions can science not answer?
- Nature of Science Cube Activity
- Experimental Design Worksheet
- Experimental Design Analyses, using Experimental Design Scenarios sheet
- Seed Germination Inquiry Lab
- Fast Plants research project
Further Research: scientific modeling, mathematical modeling, role of technology in science