Theme 3: Cell Structure and Function
Keywords: ionic bonds, covalent bonds, reactants, polar molecules, hydrogen bonds, cohesion, adhesion, solvent, monomers, polymers, monosaccharides, polysaccharides, carbohydrates, nucleotides, DNA, RNA, amino acids, proteins, lipids, CHONPS, carbon cycle, nitrogen cycle, water cycle, enzymes, active site, substrate, box-and-whisker plot, median, lower quartile, upper quartile, lower extreme, upper extreme
- How does matter stick together?
- How do the properties of water support life?
- What does a box-and-whisker plot reveal about a range of numbers?
- What types of molecules make up living organisms?
- How do chemicals move between living and non-living things?
- How do enzymes speed up chemical reactions?
- Chemical Bonding Worksheet
- Drops on a Penny Lab(requires Box-and-Whisker Plot Handout)
- Water Worksheet
- Macromolecules and Nutrition Label Chemistry Worksheet
- Chemical Cycling Worksheet
- Toothpickase Activity
- Creation and break-down of polymers
- Effects of various types of fats on human health
Further Research: ions, isotopes, organic molecules, inorganic molecules, functional groups, hydrophilic molecules, hydrophobic molecules, starch , glycogen, cellulose, saturated fats, unsaturated fats, steroids, cholesterol, protein denaturation