Theme 4: Energy and Homeostasis
Keywords: glucose, CO2, H20, ATP, photosynthesis, photosynthetic organisms, chemosynthetic organisms, stomata, mesophyll, air space, electromagnetic (light) energy, chemical energy, thermal (heat) energy, reactants, products, producers, autotrophs, cellular respiration, consumers, heterotrophs, decomposers, heat energy, 10% “rule”
- What are the reactants, products, and overall purpose of photosynthesis?
- What factors affect photosynthesis, and how can the rate of photosynthesis be determined?
- What are the reactants, products, and overall purpose of cellular respiration?
- What factors affect cellular respiration, and how can the rate of cellular respiration be determined?
- How do cellular respiration and photosynthesis interact as a cycle?
- How is energy transferred in a tropical rainforest ecosystem?
- Photosynthesis Worksheet
- Floating Leaf Disk Assay
- Cellular Respiration Worksheet
- Yeast Cell Respiration Lab
- Watch “Planet Earth: Tropical Rainforest” and write down 10 facts related to the transfer of energy in a tropical rainforest, and write a 1-page reflection on the video.
- Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration Essay Exam Rubric Writing assignment
- 50 Winter Observations- focusing on energy needs of organisms seen outside in winter.
- Functions of ATP
- Functions of light reactions and Calvin Cycle
- Functions of glycolysis, Kreb’s Cycle, and Electron Transport
- Types and purposes of fermentation
Further Research: calories, glycolysis, Kreb’s cycle, electron transport chain, ATP synthase, light reactions, Calvin Cycle, chlorophyll a, chlorophyll b, photosystems I and II, thylakoids, grana, NADPH, NADP+, enzymes of photosynthesis, oxidation/reduction reactions of photosynthesis