Theme 5: Reproduction and Inheritance
Keywords– DNA, chromosome, cell cycle, cytokinesis, nuclear envelope, chromatin, sex cells, body cells, diploid, haploid, 2n, n, mitosis, meiosis I, meiosis II, tetrad, sister chromatids, synapsis, crossing over, gametes, sexual reproduction, asexual reproduction, fertilization, genetic recombination, plant life cycles, life cycles, butterfly metamorphosis, frog metamorphosis
- How do organisms grow?
- What is the purpose of eggs and sperm?
- Why do some cells have different amounts of DNA?
- How is plant reproduction different than animal reproduction?
- How do butterflies and frogs develop?
- Pond Critter Growth and Reproduction Activity
- Mitosis Sequencing Activity
- Meiosis Sequencing Activity
- Comparing Mitosis and Meiosis Worksheet
- Watch “Seedy Side of Plants” and write down 10 facts you learned related to plant reproduction and 5 questions you had while watching the video.
- Mitosis and Meiosis Essays
1. Set up an appropriate habitat and get a pond organism to reproduce
2. Study regeneration in a Planarian
Further Research: bacteria reproduction, spindle microtubules (spindle fibers), linked genes, nondisjunction, trisomy 21, polysomy, oogenesis, spermatogenesis, supercoil, chromatid, centromere, sex chromosomes, autosomes, homologous chromosomes, cytokinesis, centrioles, spindle fibers, meiosis I, meiosis II, tetrad