Theme 5: Reproduction and Inheritance
Keywords: adenine, guanine, thyamine, cytosine, uracil, DNA, RNA, deoxyribose, ribose, nucleotides, genes, double helix, replication, translation, transcription, protein synthesis, mRNA, tRNA, rRNA, ribosomes, codon, amino acids, mutation
- What is the structure of nucleic acids?
- How does DNA double itself before mitosis?
- How does DNA determine our traits?
- How can mutations affect genes?
- DNA Replication Worksheet
- Protein Synthesis Worksheet
- Pipe Cleaner DNA Model
- Watch “Understanding the Power of Genes” and complete Understanding the Power of Genes Worksheet
- Genetic Engineering Project
- Human Genome Project
- Forensic Science
- Genetically Modified Foods
Further Research: insertion, deletion, promoters, termination signal, DNA “proofreaders”, Watson and Crick, Rosalind Franklin, point mutation, inversions, linkage groups, amniocentesis, chorionic villi sampling, colorblindness, Down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, genetic counseling, hemophilia, Huntington’s Disease, PKU