Theme 6: Evolution
Keywords: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species, binomial nomenclature, phylogenetic tree, geographic isolation, reproductive isolation, genetic variation, genetic drift, mutations, common ancestor, stimulus, innate behavior, learned behavior, migration, aggression, camouflage, mating displays, hibernation
- How do we group all of the organisms of our planet?
- How are family trees of organisms created?
- How did there get to be so many different types of organisms?
- What types of diseases can be inherited genetically?
- How do different behaviors contribute to an organism’s ability to survive and/or reproduce?
- Kansas Reptile Classification and Phylogenetic Trees Worksheet (also requires “Kansas Reptile Classification PPT”, “Kansas Reptile Classification Key”, and “Kansas Reptile Classification Index (Collins)”)
- Biodiversity Through Evolution Worksheet
- Genetic Disease Poster Project and Disease Poster Rubric
- Behavior Worksheet
- Planaria Behavior Lab (Collins and Harker)
- Microevolution versus macroevolution
- Cladograms versus phylogenetic trees
- Evolution of domestic dogs
- Human evolution
Further Research: cladistics, derived characters, convergent evolution, analogous structures, cladogram, circadian rhythms, imprinting, habituation